"Let us go forth a while, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our closed rooms...
The game of ball is glorious."

--Walt Whitman

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Back in the Yarn Stash Again

Greetings, dear readers! TBL is back!

The novel is done, the severance package has not run out, and there will be an interesting announcement regarding cubicle-type stuff just as soon as the paperwork is done and it's all official.

TBL is working on her annual Twinsfest report, which will appear here soon, but for tonight, a knitting pattern.

Over the weekend, TBL learned that one of her friends (who has gone over and above the call of duty in the emotional-and-practical-support-for-the-unemployed-friend game these last two months) recently lost his only winter hat. Well, what's a knitter to do? TBL cracked open the stash, unearthed her very best skein of alpaca, and cast on.

But this couldn't be just any hat, oh, no. This occasion deserved a brand new pattern, made up on the spot. TBL based it on the super-stretchy, extra-insulating "waffle stitch", and here, without further ado, presents:



Aaron's Hat

This is a "gaugeless" pattern. Take your own gauge with whatever needles and yarn you like and figure out how many stitches you'll need for the circumference you desire. Waffle stitch is VERY stretchy; no need to do a gauge swatch in pattern. Taking your gauge from stockinette stitch will work perfectly.

Go down a size or two from the needle recommended for your yarn to make this hat nice and toasty warm.

Mine was worked over 80 stitches with Misti Alpaca Chunky on size 8 (US) needles.

---------

Cast on a multiple of 8 stitches, join into a round.

Work in waffle stitch until piece measures about 3 pattern repeats short of the total desired length.

Waffle Stitch in the round:
1 & 2: (K2, P2) around
3: K around
4: P around


(closeup of waffle stitch pattern)

Decrease:
1: (K2, P2tog, K2, P2) around
2: (K2, P1, K2, P2) around
3: (K5, K2tog) around
4: P around
5: (K2tog, P1, K2, P1) around
6: (K1, P1, K2, P1) around
7: (K2, K2tog, K1) around
8: P around
9: (K2tog, K1, P1) around
10: (K2, P1) around
11: (K1, K2tog) around
12: P around
13: K2tog around

If more than 10 stitches remain, repeat round 13.

Cut yarn and thread tail through live stitches. Pull tight. Weave in ends. Stay warm!

11 rejoinders:

Curlz sounded off...

Nice to see you back!

A 30-something femme createrix sounded off...

Just today, I complimented a total stranger (male) on a hat just like ths one that he was wearing as I exited a Jamba Juice and he entered, lol. I was staring all mezmerized at his head and I'm sure he thought I was a loony chick :) Great hat!

Debra sounded off...

Alright, a baseball fan who knits. How did I not find you before? And 9 weeks before Opening Day!

Love the hat!

(I was searching for folks who wrote about their yarn stash for a stashing article on BlogHer.com)...

caroline sounded off...

Thanks for the great pattern. I was searching for something to use for a replacement hat for my grandfather, and this was perfect.

I made it a bit too large (so stretchy!), but I'll sew in a fleece liner so it'll keep its size.

Thanks again!

Unknown sounded off...

I love this hat! I just finished knitting it for my baby coming this December. He/she will be warm and incredibly cute. Thanks!

Anonymous sounded off...

Hey,

I just finished the hat. It is ultra cute! Thanks for the pattern!

anna jo sounded off...

This is my first ever hat and your pattern was so fun to knit up. I no longer need to be scared of knitting in the round! I cast on thinking I'd make a beannie for my husband, but it came out newborn sized. LOL. Chunky yarn + little chubby DPNs doesn't leave a lot of room for tons of stitches. Oh well. It's cute as a mini, teeny tiny version. :)

Steph sounded off...

Thanks for the great pattern, I made one for my husband and I think it's his favorite beanie yet. I used "jet" chunky, perfect.

Christine sounded off...

I found your pattern on ravelry. I offered to make a hat for a fundraiser and this was a nice quick hat to knit up, but still have an interesting texture. Thanks for the great pattern!

Anonymous sounded off...

I made this hat changing colors between blue and gray every 4 rows.

I cast on 72 stitches, and used a size 5 needle, knitting in a K2 P2 rib. Then I switched to size 7 and added in another 8 stitches to get to a total of 80, and began the waffle knit pattern.

It came out super cute. Adorable even. I love this pattern. It is so flexible that it is perfect for any project.

Thank you so much for posting this free pattern here and on Ravelry. You are very generous.

Mariellen Jordan sounded off...

Can anyone tell me how many stitches to cast on for medium 4 yarn ??? Thanks for any help