"Let us go forth a while, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our closed rooms...
The game of ball is glorious."

--Walt Whitman

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Alas, Poor 'Cisco

I think the Twins' site headline and subtitle sum it up:

Worst realized with Liriano injury
Young star's short comeback ends with a thud

Check any blog, local newspaper or major sports site and I bet you'll find a post or three about this sudden end to Liriano's season and what it means/might mean/could mean to the Twins' playoff chances. So I'm not going to go into detail about that. Seems obvious to me--he's out, he might need surgery, he could even miss a year, and this does deal a blow to our postseason hopes. A fatal blow? Time will tell, but I don't think it's necessarily so.

I heard the comment yesterday, "I hope this doesn't turn Liriano into another Joe Mays." I'll let you take a moment to massage that wince out of your facial muscles. But as painful as the thought is, the wrong injury at the wrong time can derail any career, no matter how promising. And again, only time will tell. And waiting sucks. For him, infinitely more than for us.

Here's hoping for the best.

Good luck, 'Cisco. See you in the spring...?

0 rejoinders: