There's been a good bit of talk this season about how the number 34 keeps popping up for the Twins since the death of THE #34, Hall of Famer and legendary centerfielder, Kirby Puckett.
To refresh your memories:
- The Twins have worn the number 34 on their right uniform sleeves all season, as a tribute to Kirby.
- The ballpark bill, after years of wrangling, cleared the state Senate on a vote of 34 in favor, 32 against.
- The Twins won their 34th game of the year (May 10th at Rangers) 4-3.
- The Twins' 34th road game was a win (June 8th at Mariners, 7-3). The start of a 9-for-10 streak that put the Twins at .500, this game is marked by most analysts as the game in which the Twins season turned around.
- Their 34th home game was also a win (June 25th vs the Cubs, 8-1). The Twins had 34 at-bats in this game.
- After starting off the season with two months of consistent sucking, the Twins put together a stunning seven-game winning streak (in the midst of a 21-for-23 rampage starting June 8th) to pull to the .500 mark on June 18th, putting their season record at 34-34.
And hit home run #34. To center field.
How about that?