"Let us go forth a while, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our closed rooms...
The game of ball is glorious."

--Walt Whitman

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Better Late Than Never

"I am not a member of any organized party—I am a Democrat."
--Will Rogers

You all know that I've been tearing my hair out for years over the way the Democrats have been giving--nay, flinging--away much of the power and respect they managed to accumulate over the last century or so. Fielding a parade of unelectable candidates, meekly bowing to the propaganda from the Republican Noise Machine (RNM), losing sight of their core values (and allowing the voters to do likewise) and generally being wishy-washy, disorganized and sometimes downright stupid.

This Saturday, the DNC will officially announce that Howard Dean will be its new chairman. To which I say: "About ****ing time, you idiots." To which I feel compelled to add: "I hope you realize I was about three seconds away from giving up and joining the Green Party."

See, Dean is good at all those things the whole party used to be good at, but forgot while they were busy trying not to give the RNM "cause" to use the L-word about them. Dean organizes, inspires and refuses to back down. Which isn't to say he can't compromise, but that's another thing the Dems have forgotten--the difference between compromise and capitulation.

The party has needed a leader like Dean for a long time. Now, the question is, will they let him do what he could do for them, and for us? Time will tell.

0 rejoinders: