"Let us go forth a while, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our closed rooms...
The game of ball is glorious."

--Walt Whitman

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Sometimes Things Just Suck

Yes, I know that it was only a spring training game. I'm perfectly aware that it doesn't "count". But it was against the ****ing Yankees, and I do NOT care to discuss it.

So. Knitting.

Remember this?



Well.



That's right, after a year and a half of gathering dust and a recent burst of renewed activity, I admitted to myself that I'd probably never finish the sweater, and even if I did I'm not sure I'd wear it. My personal style has changed quite a bit since I first cast on for this project. So, I reclaimed the yarn.

There was a time when ripping back a project, especially a largish one like this, would have nearly (or perhaps actually) reduced me to tears. More often than not I'd just soldier ahead and finish something I didn't like and didn't enjoy working on. But more recently I've gotten pretty good at doing what needs to be done without undue sentimentality.

Sometimes things just suck. You can either live with it, or you can ball up your slightly mangled yarn and set off in search of a better pattern.

Besides, casting on is half the fun!

0 rejoinders: