"Let us go forth a while, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our closed rooms...
The game of ball is glorious."

--Walt Whitman

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Off-Day Diversions

A girl's got to have something to do between Twins games, what with all these pesky days off in the schedule.

Reasons I haven't yet caught up on my sleep after the two-series West Coast run:

Games
Sid Meier's Pirates! should be listed as a controlled substance. Proof of chronic unemployment and/or insomnia required to play. Highly addictive.

Books
American Gods by Neil Gaiman is a real mind-bender. Great stuff. Probably not my wisest choice for lunch break reading (it's hard to jump from Gaiman's surreal world into the mundane tasks of making a living in this one).
The Devil Wears Pinstripes by Jim Caple is a hilarious invective on all things Yankee. My only quarrel with it halfway through is that for a Yankee-hater, Caple seems awfully fond of that overrated, overhyped, smirking bastard of a shortstop they've got over there.

Music
I am, as usual, listening mostly to the Levellers. They've got a new CD out--Truth and Lies--which is bloody brilliant. Notables: the track "Knot Around the World" is a rather pointed knock on US/UK policy in the Middle East and the recent wars, and "Confess" is a sly jab at religious institutions which impose guilt and ignorance on their followers, the better to control them.
No word yet on US tour dates. If the Levs come to Minneapolis, you can be sure you'll hear about it here!

4 rejoinders:

SBG sounded off...

I'd comment on that Yankee shortstop, but I'd hate for people to think that I'm somehow unwilling to acknowledge his Supreme Greatness.

Fourth pew, center sounded off...

Oh, I think he acknowledges his Supreme Greatness enough for all of us.

Comedy Club sounded off...

Darned off days.

Anonymous sounded off...

Nothing to do with baseball, but I wanted to thank you for putting me back in touch with The Levellers. I wore out a copy of "Levelling The Land" a long, long time ago, and I had absolutely no idea they were still recording. So thanks!