"Let us go forth a while, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our closed rooms...
The game of ball is glorious."

--Walt Whitman

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

LOB: Lost on Base

CSI saved my television.

Because if CSI: Miami hadn't aired a new episode last night, I would have seen the last few innings of the Twins game in their entirety and I surely would have put my fist through the screen. Or possibly my forehead.

The Twins lost by one run after LEAVING TEN RUNNERS ON BASE. And that's not counting all the runners who got erased in double plays. See, you're only "left on base" if you're still safe at a base when the inning ends. So what with all the DP's they wasted, oh, half a million runners. Give or take.

After the game, Torii Hunter commented, "You got to do something. I have to come through right there. I have to hit a ball in the outfield -- a sac fly or something," referring to the first double play of the evening, which he hit into with bases loaded in the first inning. You really think so, Torii? 'Cause if you did something other than hit into a double play with bases loaded, I think we might all be looking at the spontaneous appearance of four horsemen and the mark of the beast and a Cubs championship.

And, of course, last night was the night Kyle "Tater" Lohse realized that his career ERA had somehow slipped below 5.00 and decided to fix that by giving up three homers, two with runners on. Now, I know Kyle has to be himself, and the real Kyle is more of a collective organizational penance than an actual starting pitcher, but couldn't he pretend to be Radke or Silva when we play the White Sox? And maybe the Yankees? Is that too much to ask?

0 rejoinders: